Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Breakfast at Nanny and Mim's

Traveling Through the Shire
A Traveler's Diary
V. Williamson

Where does one go for a nice quick breakfast without the plastic and chrome of the fast food establishments? Well, if you’re travelling through Cloverdale I recommend Nanny and Mim’s Country Kitchen. You’ll find it about a stone’s throw from the Cloverdale Exit on the right hand side of the road (follow the signs for the Odd Fellows Hall. You can’t miss it).

Nanny and Mim are sisters, and have been so their entire lives. Their great passion in life is gossip and good home cooking - both of which you’ll find at Nanny and Mims. The waitresses are all locals, church goers, and members of the Woman’s Guild so they know everyone’s business. As soon as you sit down expect a good hot cup of coffee and a plastic covered menu with changes written in grease pen, the kind they once used in schools for overhead projectors. You can order off the menu or do what I do, ask for suggestions.

“Depends on what you’re looking for,” my waitress said when asked what she suggested. “Are you a big or small breakfast eater.”

“Small,” I replied. She glanced at how snugly I fit into the booth and smiled. She was on to me.

She pointed to a selection on the menu called “The Scottish Farmyard” and told me I wouldn’t go wrong with that. I nodded.

“It’ll be right up.” She returned her pencil to its place above her ear and went to serve the next table that had recently sat down.

“Merv, whatcha doing here. I heard you had surgery. Nasty thing that prostrate cancer. It took my daddy to Jesus.” I couldn’t hear the old man’s response. He looked a bit worse for wear but enjoyed her attention. I glanced out the window to the vacant lot opposite. Two older ladies wearing woolen coats and scarfs were talking on the sidewalk while their dogs did their business in the bushes. A pick up drove buy. It’s back end was full of kids with back packs. A sign on the tailgate read “Hillbilly School Bus”. I chuckled.

Shortly after 8:00 A.M. the cafe was full and the atmosphere electric. It was the most entertaining road breakfast I ever experienced. I learned more about the town and people of Cloverdale than I cared to. Nanny and Mim’s was truly the place to go if you needed to know.

Fifteen minutes after sitting down my waitress appeared with my breakfast.
“There ya go, this is The Scottish Farmyard,” she proudly said as she sat a platter sized plate before me. “Careful, its dripping from the sides. Enjoy,”


The Scottish Farmyard was right. There was bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, mushrooms, pork and beans and toast, all washed down with a half gallon of milk. Delicious and satisfying to the point where lunch wasn’t required.

Again, I highly recommend Nanny and Mim’s for a meal the next time you visit Cloverdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment